[ydl-gen] YDL 5 installation on Xserve

Atro Tossavainen atossava+ydl at cc.helsinki.fi
Thu Sep 6 02:05:35 MDT 2007

Derick,

> I'd like to suggest something rather sneaky (based on many years of
> experience in operations within gargantuan class datacenters), switch
> the Maxtor 5000DV into a different external housing with a Firewire
> port.

Nah.  If I was going to get a different external housing I might just
as well get a new drive altogether.  Am not going to bother.  It's a
five year old machine, I might well just make some more room in the
rack and chuck it.

> As far as I can discover the Maxtor 5000DV is discontinued.

Can be, but I think that's irrelevant.

> could be a solution.  Maybe YDL would see it after such a switch...
>
> For all the work you've already done, and what Kai and his team offered
> to work on, my suggestion is rather simplistic.

Of course, I'd rather that Kai and his team worked on it so that the
installation to metadevices didn't croak in the first place.  I don't
know whether it's in their scope to make the Xserve able to boot from
an external FW DVD (so as to avoid having to load from six CDs), but
I guess it isn't.

> One could discuss this as an approach or philosophy issue, but in my
> thinking "ease of use" doesn't equate with obfuscation of function.
>
> Just my $.02.

I'm in complete agreement with you there, of course.

To Bill: fdisk has no problem with the external FW drive, but pdisk
thinks it's got 1 byte blocks and only sees the first 600M out of
the 160G, and reports it's unable to write to block 1, so that's still
a bit of a showstopper.

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,