[ydl-gen] YDL 5 installation on Xserve

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Thu Sep 6 04:37:51 MDT 2007

Atro
> > I'd like to suggest ...
>
> Nah.  If I was going to get a different external housing I might just
> as well get a new drive altogether.  Am not going to bother.  It's a
> five year old machine, I might well just make some more room in the
> rack and chuck it.

Understood.

> > As far as I can discover the Maxtor 5000DV is discontinued.
>
> Can be, but I think that's irrelevant.

Normally, I'd share your sentiment but for one thing.  On personal
hardware which I directly control, absolutely need to restore and
get working for my needs I'm a bit of a nut in making things function.
If I can save something, I get it up and running.  I'm aware that within
the setting of many organizations expenditures of time and money have
to be evaluated first and those factors play a part in many decisions.

A small, but useful observation I've come across as a nut.  Sometimes
a component in the older hardware controlling port access just ceases to
function whereas the hd itself is fine.  It is a bit of an exercise
perhaps usually relegated to grad or high school students to determine
such minutiae and correct it, but when my own preferences and interest
was allowed full reign I'd engage in such effort as I can't afford to
have hardware lying about which I can't use as I'm working on such
projects in my home and not in a lab or office.

> > could be a solution.  Maybe YDL would see it after such a switch...
> >
> > For all the work you've already done, and what Kai and his team
> > offered to work on, my suggestion is rather simplistic.
>
> Of course, I'd rather that Kai and his team worked on it so that the
> installation to metadevices didn't croak in the first place.  I don't
> know whether it's in their scope to make the Xserve able to boot from
> an external FW DVD (so as to avoid having to load from six CDs), but
> I guess it isn't.

Atro, don't count them out yet.  Give them a chance to respond.

> To Bill: fdisk has no problem with the external FW drive, but pdisk
> thinks it's got 1 byte blocks and only sees the first 600M out of
> the 160G, and reports it's unable to write to block 1, so that's still
> a bit of a showstopper.

I believe I recall reading somewhere that parted was the replacement of
pisk/fdisk.  I could be oversimplifying the matter greatly, but parted
can see (and modify as needed) any hd I've swapped into the external
housing (which I recommended earlier).

========
 "If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often
think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of
music. ... I get most joy in life out of music."

"What Life Means to Einstein: An Interview by George Sylvester
Viereck," for the October 26, 1929 issue of The Saturday Evening Post.