[ydl-gen] YDL 5 installation on Xserve

Atro Tossavainen atossava+ydl at cc.helsinki.fi
Thu Sep 6 05:11:27 MDT 2007

> Normally, I'd share your sentiment but for one thing.  On personal
> hardware which I directly control, absolutely need to restore and
> get working for my needs I'm a bit of a nut in making things function.

I can't say I'm that far from where you stand.

> A small, but useful observation I've come across as a nut.  Sometimes
> a component in the older hardware controlling port access just ceases to
> function whereas the hd itself is fine.

Can be.  I don't think I have tried it with the FW interfaces on any
other hardware, but I suppose I could do that too - I have a spare
iMac G3.

Using the portable drive through USB works fine with any other machine.

> Atro, don't count them out yet.  Give them a chance to respond.

Absolutely.  It's not like I'm in a rush to rid the rack of the Xserve.
But I seem to recall the discussion about installing directly onto
metadevices starting in about late 2002 when we purchased it. :-)

> I believe I recall reading somewhere that parted was the replacement of
> pisk/fdisk.  I could be oversimplifying the matter greatly, but parted
> can see (and modify as needed) any hd I've swapped into the external
> housing (which I recommended earlier).

I wasn't aware parted did non-DOS partitioning schemes.  I suppose I
could try that too.

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,