[ydl-gen] YDL 5 installation on Xserve

Bill Fink billfink at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 6 20:46:36 MDT 2007

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007, Atro Tossavainen wrote:

> > This may not be relevant but I have a cluster of Xserve G4's and couldn't
> > install YDL-5.0.2 using either the CD's or (of course) the DVD.
>
> Yes, getting to the installation media was a problem at first.  I've
> already solved that part in at least two ways, and now you've suggested
> the obvious third one.
>
> I suppose the whole thing would work just fine if I wasn't hell bent
> on getting mirrored root to begin with and accepting no substitutes...

That brings up another possible option that might be simpler than
the external FireWire disk approach.  Just set up another non-mirrored
partition on the internal drives, and install to that.  From there
you can rsync to the mirrored root file system, and create yaboot.conf
entries to boot from either the non-mirrored or mirrored root file
system.  You can then, from the non-mirrored root, tweak the mirrored
root filesystem until you can get it to boot properly.  Once you do,
you can then fix up the other partitions the way you want them.

						-Bill