[ydl-gen] YDL 5 installation on Xserve

Bill Mueller bmueller at terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Sep 6 23:01:13 MDT 2007

>> Two questions:
>>     Have you tried a network install?
>
> That's the only thing I'm doing in actual fact.
<...>
> If I boot from the June 27 CDs and try to install from the July 11 DVD,
> it croaks about version mismatch between the two and refuses to carry on.

Ok, well you can beat the version mismatch two ways:

     Copy the 5.0.1 kernel over the 5.0.2 kernel on your boot medium.  You
     might get module version mismatch warnings, but anaconda should load.

     or

     set all the hidden .verinfo files the same.  There is one in the
     root of the kernel initrd and the /Yellowdog/base/stage2.img files
     that need to match.  stage2.img is a little tricky because it uses
     cramfs, check out here for an idea how to do it:

     http://wings.buffalo.edu/computing/ublinux/HOWTO-anaconda.php

Just let me know if these instructions are too vague, and I'll
try to clarify them.

> But really, I don't *want* to install to the external FireWire drive.
> I want to install to a mirror pair (aka Linux software RAID).  This
> should be first priority as far as I am concerned.

I feel ya, I'm not the right person to fix the RAID stuff... but i
can get the information to those that do.  I can help you hack YDL
onto your machine though.

This will help us make sure the next version supports your HW out of
the box and you can skip all these back-door shananegens.

-Bill