[ydl-gen] YDL 5 installation on Xserve

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Fri Sep 7 16:36:07 MDT 2007

Geez!  What are you guys doing with MY favorite OS!

Questions:
Suppose something happens to my internal Powerbook DVD drive.  I have
an external unit which houses a Lightscribe drive with Firewire and USB
ports.  The situation is I've got to reinstall YDL 5, can I do it?

Or will have to drop down and install YDL 3?  I don't think YDL 3 knows
what a powerbook 1.67 GHz system is nor does it know anything about
Airport Extreme. Is there a different solution I'm missing?

What about a different problem... my internal pb disk crashes.  I've
got plenty of drives running around, my internal DVD in the powerbook
is ok.  Now, can I do a fresh install of YDL 5 onto an external HD
with either Firewire or USB ports and have it boot from that external
disk?

I recall running YDL 2 (or was it 3) by tranferring an internal HD to
an external HD firewire enclosure.  YDL 5 can't boot from either an
external USB or Firewire enclosure?

I'd like to be crystal clear on these points.

Thanks for the response.

Personally, I wouldn't mind that a decision was made to drop Firewire
and support USB instead, but I'd like to know what my options are
before an emergency comes up.  I'd rather not wait to write to the list
and await a solution since should any of the situations I presented
happen ... I won't be able to send a notice at that time.

So I hope that there is a solution... anyone??

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 15:32:49 -0600 Aaron
Johnson <ajohnson at terrasoftsolutions.com> wrote:

> Unfortently yes, This feature is no longer supported.  My apologizes
> for any inconvince this may cause.
>
> Aaron

========
 "If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often
think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of
music. ... I get most joy in life out of music."

"What Life Means to Einstein: An Interview by George Sylvester
Viereck," for the October 26, 1929 issue of The Saturday Evening Post.