[ydl-gen] PS3 Yellow Dog 5.02 DVD Playback

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Sun Sep 30 18:12:26 MDT 2007

Hi Thomas:

What Bill has raised regarding licensing is something we all have to
deal with since concerns were raised years ago by SCO threatening to
sue anyone who used Linux.  Their legal battle, against IBM no less,
ended by SCO filing for bankruptcy.  Their argument was that they owned
the license for Unix which they claimed IBM stole and implanted into
Linux.  The facts are that IBM proved that they did no such thing,
Linux is free from such manipulation and Novell owned the Unix license,
anyway -- not SCO.

The short of all that is every Linux distribution has become really
better if not absolutely determined to insure that open source code
remain pristine and free from any such threats again.  So proprietary
licenses are assiduously enforced and respected (and excluded from open
source) although many companies use both their proprietary code which
users cannot see or access and open source which anyone can use.
In some ways, the way things are done now makes many things possible
and also somehow interesting though annoying at the same time.

I'm not sure that your specific issue can be resolved but perhaps I
could drop some suggestions which could get you on your way.  The
difficulty will be that of downloading these programs, compiling and
building them within YDL on your PS3.  The PS3 should make short work
of it, but you however may find yourself wishing to do something else.
If you can persevere you could be able to congratulate yourself on
getting something done very few will pursue.

Sites to investigate and consider: xine, xmms, Realplayer -- together
with whatever plugins or accessories may be accessible with them.  Of
course, just because something is geeky and powerful doesn't mean that
it will be attractive, easy to use or even that you will like it.
Aiming just to find something that functions and addresses the task you
wish will be acceptable.

A lot of what works in Linux is like that -- ugly, but wickedly fast
and brilliant.

Good Luck...

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 16:38:21 -0400 "Thomas A. McGonagle"
<tom at dataero.com> wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>  I just bought my first PS3 60GB with 1.90 Firmware installed. I
> installed Yellow Dog and it was very easy.
>  I have successfully installed mplayer and VLC. Both of which work
> and can play video saved to the PS3. I can't read from the DVD drive
> (/dev/scd0) though.
>
>  When I put in a movie, I receive errors from mplayer saying that
> libdvdcss can't decrypt the key. I also tried mounting the drive, and
> reading and even copying a  VOB file with cp and the vobcopy tool. No
> luck, you can't even copy a VOB off of the disk.
>
>  I have scoured the net, looking for an explanation, and haven't been
> able to find one. Some people think that it has something to do with
> the region not being set on the drive. I tried the regionset utility,
> and it could not set the region on the drive. It errored out.
>
>  Does anyone know for sure what is happening? Is the drive locked to
> prevent movie watching under Linux. If it is or is not, does anyone
> know a work around?
>
>  Thanks a lot,  and have a lovely weekend.
> -Tom

========
 "If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often
think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of
music. ... I get most joy in life out of music."

"What Life Means to Einstein: An Interview by George Sylvester
Viereck," for the October 26, 1929 issue of The Saturday Evening Post.