[ydl-gen] Booting a PS3 w/YDL6 from an external USB drive

Rob Sanders rarob at comcast.net
Mon Aug 25 19:59:06 MDT 2008

Hey everybody,
   Has anyone played around with using an external USB drive on the
PS3 with YDL6?  I tried installing
to one and that seemed to go well, but the drive will not boot the
PS3.  Kboot is correctly mounting the
first partition of the external drive and sees the yaboot.conf file,
but once nash starts up the boot freezes
quickly.
   Based on some co-workers who boot RH/Fedora from USB drives, it
looks like the initrd image is missing
the usb-storage modules.  One buddy said that for their RH/Fedora
boxen they *had* to have the usb-storage
stuff built as a module, *not* compiled into the kernel.  I'm hoping
that someone else has been down this
path w/YDL before, and can confirm/deny this.
   Tomorrow morning I'm going to start playing with stuff.  I'm
figure I'm going to build a stock YDL6 kernel on
my PS3's internal drive with usb-storage as a module, repackage with
mkinitrd as per some RH/Fedora
cheat sheets I've found, and push that to the external drive....

Rob