[ydl-gen] Booting a PS3 w/YDL6 from an external USB drive

Bill Mueller bmueller at terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Aug 25 21:03:42 MDT 2008

I haven't tried it recently, so no solid answers forthcoming.
But hopefully I can add some insight.

Your RH/Fedora friends are correct, the trick with booting
from usb storage devices require the usb drives to be
re-scanned after nash starts up for the drive to mount
correctly.

The easiest way to do it is by loading the kernel module, but
I believe you can also do it through the /proc tree.

I had thought the ydl6 initrd already incorporated this,
given it is based on the same one used for the installer.

In either case, if it is not working the fix is not exactly
straight forward.  Mount the initrd and edit the startup
script to re-scan the usb devices or insert re-compiled
usb-core and usb-storage modules.

I'm not sure I will be able to address this until the next
release.

-Bill