[ydl-gen] how to install additional libraries?

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Sun Dec 7 10:22:20 MST 2008

Apologies for not actually addressing your question earlier.  However
if you insist on not using yum, you will have to independently
determine which package and dependency is which and whether there is
a version supporting that package for powerpc systems which run ydl.
After that you can then have to be familiar with determining whether
the dependency you need is in the correct binary format or whether it
is in source.  If it is in source you will have to compile each
dependency as there may not be a powerpc or cell version of it.

Having completed the above then you have to install it.  If you
acquired the correct binary then you can use:

rpm -ivh packagename

rpm will warn you if what you are installing conflicts with whatever
already exists.  You need to be skilled enough to understand that you
may be destabilizing your own ydl system by installing the wrong
package in the wrong order and/or installing a newer package which
doesn't match the other dependencies already installed.  rpm cannot
warn you of that.

Final note:  In case you are not aware there is something called
dependency hell.  Dependency hell is the intricate discovery of the
inter-relationship of many different widely dispersed libraries
across different servers which may or may not be in existence or
available for the powerpc/cell based systems and that you have to
know enough how to find/compile/link them all together in the right
sequence so that the application you do want can function.

Yum of course, can determine all the above for you.

Best of luck...