[ydl-gen] YDL 6 on a ibook G4 800 Mhz

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Mon Dec 8 08:57:05 MST 2008

Hi Warren:

I thought I recalled past exchanges with you!  I'm glad to learn you
got a PS3 it appears to be a very technically challenging system to
work with.
For me however, I always thought that control of the video output via
linux was always important for anyone wishing to do research or other
analysis taking advantage of the Cell and explore various results via
charts etc.  Without YDL being allowed to do this at a sufficiently
acceptable pace it wasn't clear to me that investing in the PS3 was a
good deal.

I'm tempted by the PowerStation but that's a matter of a cash issue
for me.  I like the fact that I can modify it's internals to my own
interests.  Perhaps the PowerStation would interest you as anything
regarding the Mac is pretty much a dead end.  I never bought that
Apple's marriage to Intel was a great or smart idea scientifically
speaking - that's my own view of course.

I'm not selling the PowerStation; I do very much admire it's
potential as a nearly infinitely malleable scientific tool though.
You may be able to get a nice balance of return by giving up the PB
17 and PS3 and put the funds to whatever PowerStation configuration
available from Fixstars.  It comes with the ATI X1650 Pro graphics
card.  You can read up on that card here:

http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonx1650/index.html

The Specs are mouth watering, from a tech standpoint of course.  That
this potential is available from within YDL is very very appealing.
3D analysis your way, what's not to like?  Of course, this being
Linux - I'm sure that some amount of coding is necessary somewhere to
do exactly what one wants in the manner one actually wants it, but
hey we've hung out here this long.  A coding challenge which is
actually feasible and implementable within a time frame acceptable in
any interesting project is not really a problem.

A more technical analysis of the card is available here:

http://www.techspot.com/review/24-radeon-x1650pro-vs-geforce-7600gs/

As you've been pushing the video issue for awhile, maybe the option
I'm recommending is something to consider.

All the best... Derick.