[ydl-gen] YDL 6 on a ibook G4 800 Mhz

Warren Nagourney warren at phys.washington.edu
Mon Dec 8 14:57:06 MST 2008

Thanks for the replies.

As a retired physicist, I have a lot of interest in keeping my hand
in "physics research" (simple demos and optical design aids on a
computer) but not a lot of free cash. I believe the GigaAccel is well
out of my price range, though the PowerStation might not be under
certain circumstances.  This was my reason for getting the PS3 and I
am very disappointed in Sony's actions with regard to disabling this
machine in OtherOS mode. I am glad I was able to take advantage of
the 2D Xorg acceleration hack on the PS3, though it hobbles some
other uses since I can't upgrade the firmware (though I detest
computer games, but there might come a time when the Blueray firmware
needs updating).

How quietly does the PowerStation run? The fans in an Apple G5 can
sometimes get fairly loud, though the machines are reasonably quiet.
I suppose this is on the website, but is the GPU acceleration (2D and
3D) fully supported on the PowerStation? It is often hard to get PPC
drivers for many high end graphics cards.

Thanks.

Warren Nagourney