[ydl-gen] stuff

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Tue Dec 16 11:50:17 MST 2008

Hi Chris:

Background:  Some years ago I recall that it was advised to not use
yum in the way you recommended.  Yum when used to erase anything was
so thorough it removed not only the target application but also
whatever dependencies it used and dependencies related to them.
Resulting in a crippled system.  This problem happened to me several
times... the safest way I found around using yum to remove anything
was to use rpm -e instead.

Question:  Has this situation regarding yum changed or been corrected?

Thanks for your time in clarifying this.

Sincerely, Derick.