[ydl-gen] stuff

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Tue Dec 16 23:53:17 MST 2008

> ... dependencies and at the very bottom something like this:
>
> Transaction Summary
> Install      0 Package(s)
> Update       0 Package(s)
> Remove     484 Package(s)
>
> Is this ok [y/N]:
>
> If you read what those package were, it would be painfully obvious
> that the
> sane answer here would be 'n'.

It is often true unfortunately that the most obvious things require
the most careful review.  This situation is no different.  Continuing
with the example you stated, yum does list all the packages to be
removed before it gets to this point, however this also demonstrates
my original difficulty with yum and challenge to how yum is used in
this particular form.  Even if I (as a user) cared to cross-check and
examine which package is which and what it does before I answer yes
or no, I could not do so using yum as you invoked it because all that
information scrolls off the terminal's screen (stdout) and is lost.
Instead a better procedure or strategy is to split yum's output
stream to an external file for later review so that accidental
removal is could be potentially avoided by the user - if s/he takes
the time to examine the generated file.  Also in any situation
regarding using yum to remove anything, if one follows my suggestion
I'd also recommend that the initial answer to yum's question be No
thereby allowing the user to peruse the output file more carefully.
After having done so, then the user being better informed can further
pare down which packages are removed reducing the risk of damaging
his/her system.

I'd really think this adjustment or recommendation should be posted
somewhere on the official pages addressing yum because this solution
is not an obvious one.  Here's the approach I'd recommend:

yum remove openssl > filename

In closing one more point, as good as yum is and has been, like other
unix/linux tools - even if it was incorporated into a system wide
intelligent guiding avatar at some point in the future (say YDL
740.2?) human oversight of what and why it is engaging in any task
will always be required.  It is always a strong regimen to recommend
to users and in Linux every user is another system administrator in
development whether s/he wishes it or no - it's the nature of what
Linux is great power with flexibility.  By the way, my own experience
with Unix goes back to the 70's - it's really our good fortune that
Linux and YDL in particular allows for the usage of these tried and
true simple strategies.  I'm a great believer in documenting the
documents and can seek to overcompensate sometimes explaining too
much but my concern especially in the example we are discussing is
justified.

I hope my suggestion appears somewhere in the yum pages and not
merely in my personal notes.

All the best...