[ydl-gen] stuff

Christopher Murtagh cmurtagh at us.fixstars.com
Tue Dec 16 13:23:28 MST 2008

On Tuesday 16 December 2008 02:52:00 pm Derick Centeno wrote:
> Now this is interesting.
>
> Let's say that my normally suspicious nature is suspended and I
> pursue this effort with yum (one more time) are you telling me that
> yum will this time - in no uncertain terms - clearly indicate that a
> package is needed in ydl6 or ydl 6.1 and advise me not to remove it?

 No, it won't advice you on anything, but it will tell you the consequences of
your actions. So, if you say 'yum erase openssl' for example, you will end up
with a crapload of dependencies and at the very bottom something like this:

Transaction Summary
Install      0 Package(s)
Update       0 Package(s)
Remove     484 Package(s)

Is this ok [y/N]:

If you read what those package were, it would be painfully obvious that the
sane answer here would be 'n'.

> You're stating that I'll definitely see somewhere "don't delete that
> package - your system needs it." stated by yum as a warning?

 No. See above.

> Or are you really saying that I should be astute enough to read the
> installed packages listing in pirut and i really after all these
> years should know better in the first place?

Yes.

If you're root, and you're adding/removing packages willy-nilly without
knowing what you're doing, you're in dangerous waters. Using rpm instead of
yum does not protect you from any of this. In fact, rpm will let you do
things like --nodeps or --force that will leave your system in far worse
shape than if you use yum and read what you're doing.

You should almost never need to use rpm as a typical user, other than to
install/remove some package that isn't in any repo (and then again, in most
cases you probably don't want to do that either).

Cheers,

Chris