[ydl-gen] Cant seem to do it.

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Tue Jul 8 12:53:07 MDT 2008

Dear Carlos:

The facts are that Terra Soft Solutions (TSS), which produces Yellow Dog
Linux, designed it to work only on PowerPC family processors which currently
include the Cell.  The Cell processor is available on the PS3 (8 cores) and
the YDL PowerStation (4 cores); both these modern computers will run YDL.

The computers from Apple used to contain PowerPC based processors, but Apple
switched to Intel and that could be the source of your confusion.  When
Apple produced PowerPC based computers there used to exist a version of YDL
which allowed Mac users to switch rather easily from the Mac OS to YDL and
back again.

One can discuss this change as foolish based on the greater calculation
power of PowerPC systems or wise, based on the lower cost of production
which Intel processors enjoy.  Regardless of whatever position however, it
is no longer possible to run YDL on the same processor produced by Apple on
current Macs.

All the best...