[ydl-gen] Questions on ydl-6.0 with ps3

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Mon Jul 21 13:29:28 MDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 12:21 AM, John Frankish
<frankish at dubai.oilfield.slb.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a couple of questions about ydl-6.0 on a ps3:
>
> 1. I'm using a screen resolution of 720p with a dell monitor and
> dvi/hdmi adapter which I understand to be 1280x720 - this being the
> case, is there a reason xorg.conf is using 1100something x
> 600something (I'm not in front of the ps3 at the moment)?

The links on this page are a resource in clarifying audio/visual
settings for the PS3:

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/solutions/ydl_6.x/

It may interest you to read the discussion addressing your question,
however the short answer is that the 1100x600 setting was optimal for
LCD monitors before HD came along and certainly before the resolution
capacity of the PS3 and other modern systems.  Here's the link:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/alternative-computing/linux-support/203651-screen-resolution-virtualbox.html

> 2. I have a firefly music server set up on a mss+ external hd - using
> ydl-6.0 and rhythmbox on the ps3, I can see the music on the firefly
> server, but when I try to play any of the music (mp3 files), I get
> the error message "unknown error, cannot play music". Does anybody
> have any ideas on how to fix this?

Did you try mounting the external device so that YDL sees it swit6hin
it's directory tree and then specifically direct Rhythmbox to the
directory where the music files are mounted to?