[ydl-gen] Questions on ydl-6.0 with ps3

John Frankish frankish at dubai.oilfield.slb.com
Thu Jul 24 04:14:43 MDT 2008

At 13:10 24-07-08, you wrote:
>On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 08:21:47 +0400
>John Frankish <frankish at dubai.oilfield.slb.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a couple of questions about ydl-6.0 on a ps3:
> >
> > 1. I'm using a screen resolution of 720p with a dell monitor
> > and dvi/hdmi adapter which I understand to be 1280x720 - this
> > being the case, is there a reason xorg.conf is using
> > 1100something x 600something (I'm not in front of the ps3 at
> > the moment)?
> >

>That bothered me too, 720p output isn't truly 720p, probably to
>ensure overscan/underscan didn't mess with the display too
>much. Linux on the PS2 has the same problem 720p there is
>something like 940x6foo  I solved the problem by switching to
>ps3 video mode # 1547. That's VESA 1280x768 full color HDMI
>mode, which my 1440x900 720p/1080i TV scales to full screen.
>
>You could also try 720p full screen mode # 131

Thanks - that's interesting, where did you find the full list of ps3
video modes (eg #1547, #131) from?
The 2009W monitor I'm using can go up to 1680x1050 (WSXGA+?) so there
should be some scope to go better
than the 1160x644 I have now...

> > 2. I have a firefly music server set up on a mss+ external hd
> > - using ydl-6.0 and rhythmbox on the ps3, I can see the music
> > on the firefly server, but when I try to play any of the music
> > (mp3 files), I get the error message "unknown error, cannot
> > play music". Does anybody have any ideas on how to fix this?
> >

>You might need to download the fluendo codec for mp3.
>
> > BTW, the installation from dvd went flawlessly, ydl managed to
> > connect to my network printer all on its own, the only thing I
> > had to fix manually was the wireless network (wep) connection.
> > I'm used to damnsmalllinux and lfs/blfs on old hardware, so I
> > was a little surprised at the lack of speed with ydl on the
> > ps3 though...
> >
> > Regards
> > John
> >

>I think YDL E17 build is the problem, E17 is actually more
>responsive on the PS2, but I compiled from source with a
>a lot of optional libs.  Switch to fluxbox and you'll see.  You
>could try XFCE but that's more RAM intensive than E17 is.

Yeah, I'm tempted to try fluxbox or jwm, but it's going to be a lot of work...