[ydl-gen] Alternative Window Managers

Ron Rogers Jr. CronoCloud at mchsi.com
Mon Jul 28 14:53:10 MDT 2008

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 08:08:05 +0400
John Frankish <frankish at dubai.oilfield.slb.com> wrote:

> >It will start right up.  This below is not needed:
>
> No, jwm does not start with the above in .xinitrc - the usual
> E17 window manager starts except with an error about nautilus

My fault for not being verbose, my apologies, the full .xinitrc
will look like this:

#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/local/bin/jwm

> Sure - I was speaking about E17, there does not seem to be a
> way to exit the window manager - you can shutdown, reboot,
> logout, but I have not found a way to exit to a prompt...

Did you edit /etc/inittab to set your default runlevel to 3?

Comment this line out:

id:5:initdefault:

and use this instead (or just change that 5 to a 3:

id:3:initdefault:

Shutdown and reboot and you should get a prompt and be able to
exit from X back into it.

Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)