[ydl-gen] How to have YDL and Leopard coexist

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Fri Jun 13 00:32:36 MDT 2008

My comments are interspersed with your reply below:

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 14:30:59 -0400, Sterling Garwood <slgarwood at charter.net>
wrote:

> ok ...

> I am using a Mirrored Drive Door Powermac (dual g4).

> all drives are internal.

Ok.  Thanks -- this helps highlight what is going on.

> The problem is that the default YDL partitioning (I used the default

> scheme in the installer) created partition types not recognized by

> Leopard (I think they are EXT3 ... need to check).

The problem may be a bit deeper if the term "mirrored drive" refers to the hard
drives and not merely the color of the Powermac's outer case.  If the internal
drives are in fact mirrored that means that neither drive (I assume we are
speaking of at least 2 drives) can be used for YDL.  This is because the whole
concept of a mirrored drive system requires that two drives (at least) be exact
copies of one another from the bit level up so that the os can track and note
when errors of writing to the HD is made and refer to the mirrored drive in the
case of such an event.

> When Mac OSX 10.5.3 (Leopard) boots up it sees the non-Apple format

> partitions and says basically '...format, eject, or ignore'

> I can click the ignore or eject button but I worry that one day my

> wife will boot up the system and click the 'format' button.

I'm not sure how mirroring is implemented on your system.  If the control is
software, you should be able to find a Control Panel or something to shut
"mirroring" off.  If however, the control is strictly hardware meaning that
that particular version of the Powermac was intentionally hardwired as a item
originally purchased from Apple to implement mirroring you will have to know
quite a bit regarding how a computer is put together and whether a drive is a
master or slave, etc. to undo or rewire it to function as you wish.

I don't use Leopard, you may find it simpler to drop down to Tiger.  If you
prefer not to do that, then there should be a way to tell Leopard to instruct
Leopard to ignore the Linux partitions.  Again, I'm familiar with how to do
this by formatting the Linux drive with Apple's Disk Utility.  NeoAmsterdam is
right to strongly suggest that using it is not simple or straightforward.

Remember that using Disk Utility properly is the <u>first</u> procedure in
preparing <u>any Linux drive or partition before</u> you install YDL6 from it's
DVD via Anaconda. You may find it useful to review pp. 2-4 of the installation
instructions located here:

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/installation/

Suggestion:  Practice using Apple's Disk Utility on a drive you can afford to
experiment with.  You'll be glad you did; there are a multitude of details to
get wrong before you even consider approaching the YDL DVD.

Again,after this is done properly Tiger, and even Leopard, should not express an
interest to ask you anything regarding any Linux partition.  Again, within
Tiger, the Disk Utility sees the partitions but they are greyed out and
unavailable.  Tiger doesn't see Linux or YDL partitions at all.  Leopard should
behave similarly.

Of course, you could avoid this headache by dumping Apple entirely and
upgrading to the newly announced YDL Powerstation -- who needs Apple anyway? :)

=====
"If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often
think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of
music. ... I get most joy in life out of music."

"What Life Means to Einstein: An Interview by George Sylvester
Viereck," for the October 26, 1929 issue of The Saturday Evening Post.