[ydl-gen] How to have YDL and Leopard coexist

R. Hirschfeld ray at unipay.nl
Sat Jun 14 07:56:48 MDT 2008

> Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 14:30:59 -0400
> From: Sterling Garwood <slgarwood at charter.net>

> The problem is that the default YDL partitioning (I used the default
> scheme in the installer) created partition types not recognized by
> Leopard (I think they are EXT3 ... need to check).
> When Mac OSX 10.5.3 (Leopard) boots up it sees the non-Apple format
> partitions and says basically '...format, eject, or ignore'
> I can click the ignore or eject button but I worry that one day my
> wife will boot up the system and click the 'format' button.

In my experience, MacOS gives this message if there are no partitions
on the disk that it can mount, but if there are any that it does
recognize it will just mount those and ignore any others.  Admittedly
my experience is with a different configuration and different versions
of both OS's, but if you can add a small HFS+ partition to your second
disk without having to repartition it (for example by re-labeling and
formatting an Apple_Free Extra partition), it's worth a try.

Ray