[ydl-gen] RPM Forge and ATRPMS

Christopher Murtagh cmurtagh at terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Nov 2 08:17:53 MST 2008

On Sunday 02 November 2008 09:10:41 am Chris Nolan wrote:
> Milton Calnek wrote:
> > I'm wanting to port RPMForge and ATRPMS to ydl.
> > Has anyone tried something like this or do you usually just get the stuff
> > you want?
>
> I just rebuild the SRPMSs as and when I need them. I have a few YDL
> servers so I did actually build a local repo that I share over the
> network to make updating/installing easier.
>
> I have wondered whether terrasoft would sponsor a community based repo,
> or whether they would actually extend the amount of standard packages in
> their own repos (there are a lot of very commonly required packages that
> are missing fromYDL!).

We have talked about a community based 'extras' repo, and that might still be
in the works, not sure.  We would certainly need community involvement for
that endeavor to succeed. It's a lot of resources to commit and we're a small
company, although due to recent events, there could be some exciting new
things on the horizon - stay tuned on that one.

 WRT RPMForge, I do use their packages. Unfortunately, the legality of some of
the packages fall into grey areas in some juristictions, and Terra Soft can't
play any role in it for these reasons. However, if you are interested in
RPMForge for YDL I strongly suggest you join the mailing list and even offer
to volunteer to help build packages or test them. Many of the RPMForge folks
also hang out on #centos and #centos-social (best to ask on -social since
this really isn't CentOS related).

For you Yanks out there, don't forget to vote on Tuesday!

Cheers,

Chris