[ydl-gen] Help for a newbie

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Thu Oct 30 04:46:45 MDT 2008

Hi Erick, Derick here!

Regarding your use of Macs and interest in YDL the problem is the
kind of Macs you have.

If you have the Macs which Apple used to produce which use the G4/G5
incarnations of the PowerPC CPU, then either earlier versions of YDL
or the current version of YDL should run on them.  Just refer to the
hardware compatibility pages of TSS; see here: http://
www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/hardware/

However, if you have the current Intel based Macs, then YDL will not
run on those.  If you remain interested in Linux you will have to
choose an Intel based Linux distribution, there are plenty of those.

Yellow Dog Linux is exclusively dedicated to supporting PowerPC and
Cell CPUs; the Cell being the modern generation or progression of the
PowerPC CPU family.

I decided to highlight these distinctions as the information you
provided omitted them entirely.  Unfortunately, it is exactly the CPU
family which will determine, in this particular situation, whether
you can or should use YDL or another Linux.

Open Directory appears to be an Apple product.  I cannot promise that
either YDL or Intel based Linux could provide services to Open
Directory, but that is more an Apple problem than Linux.  On the
Yellow Dog Linux side there are many, many tools to serve and
exchange data with all kinds of systems; it depends what you want to
do.  Intel based Linux has even more tools than "we" do.  However in
the tone of your question it should not be difficult to setup your
Macs as clients to either Intel or PowerPC/Cell based servers running
Linux.

You may have to either use Darwin or other GPL projects (to be
installed into Darwin) to replace or augment whatever Apple provided
so that your computers behave as you wish as clients to Linux
servers.  Of course, Apple's way of seeing and doing things has
caused many much elation and frustration/disappointment.  The issue
is what Apple included or removed from Darwin and what you may need
to put back in so that your needs or plans can be actualized.

Best wishes, Derick.