[ydl-gen] Response of Fixstars to end of ps3 otheros

Kai Staats kstaats at us.fixstars.com
Thu Aug 27 15:59:39 MDT 2009

Warren,

> Thanks, Kai, for a thoughtful response to my query.

You are welcome.

> It would have been
> nice if IBM put some pressure on Sony to keep the otheros option
> available, since it would seem to be in IBM's interest to keep some
> enthusiasm for the Cell alive among the "hobbyist" community (though
> IBM never was very interested in this group as their former lukewarm
> support of the Apple culture showed).
>
> One thought I had was the PowerStation. Is there any possibility that
> it could be made with a single Cell processor? For the current price
> of PowerStation, I would definitely buy one with a Cell and this would
> be a superb way of filling the gap left by the defunct PS3 linux
> option. It would be in any case more appropriate, since, as you
> observed, Sony is really only interested in games and for good reason.
> One wouldn't expect them to make a hobbyist computer. With an
> inexpensive Fixstars Cell offering, the RSX problem would disappear,
> since there would be some support for a few PCI graphic boards.

Unfortunately, the cost of entry to Cell is quite high, therefore the
opportunity to create commodity, consumer Cell products is limited to the
larger companies such as Sony and Toshiba. It was never IBM's intent, as far
as I can tell, to commoditize (is that a word? :) Cell beyond the big players
and their own products.

Sincerely,
kai