[ydl-gen] Response of Fixstars to end of ps3 otheros

Warren Nagourney warren at phys.washington.edu
Thu Aug 27 15:42:39 MDT 2009

Thanks, Kai, for a thoughtful response to my query. It would have been
nice if IBM put some pressure on Sony to keep the otheros option
available, since it would seem to be in IBM's interest to keep some
enthusiasm for the Cell alive among the "hobbyist" community (though
IBM never was very interested in this group as their former lukewarm
support of the Apple culture showed).

One thought I had was the PowerStation. Is there any possibility that
it could be made with a single Cell processor? For the current price
of PowerStation, I would definitely buy one with a Cell and this would
be a superb way of filling the gap left by the defunct PS3 linux
option. It would be in any case more appropriate, since, as you
observed, Sony is really only interested in games and for good reason.
One wouldn't expect them to make a hobbyist computer. With an
inexpensive  Fixstars Cell offering, the RSX problem would disappear,
since there would be some support for a few PCI graphic boards.

Cheers,

wn