[ydl-gen] Response of Fixstars to end of ps3 otheros

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Mon Aug 31 07:35:44 MDT 2009

Thanks Kai for taking the time to explain a little bit of what was
necessary so that the Sony GameOS and YDL could function together so
that PS3 owners could have the unique opportunity to benefit and
utilize both. I also appreciate that you've attempted to present
to all of us an explanation of what may have been behind their
decision.

I discovered a useful but perhaps brusque report on The Register
discussing Sony's decision:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/28/sony_ps3_slim_linux_install_loss/

The article makes clear that support for Linux on the older models of
PS3 will continue.

Although I didn't choose to buy a PS3, I feel great sorrow and
compassion for everyone caught unawares by Sony's decision.  There
were other options which Sony could have considered or explored which
Mr. Modine mentions at the close of his article.  Although I don't
appreciate how he ended it, apparently he was referring to the
impossibility of getting through to Sony that other choices existed.
The OtherOS option could have been kept had they chosen to allow the
Linux community the option to provide for a solution themselves at
no cost to Sony or if that didn't appeal to them because Sony feared
to allow it's technology to become just another do it yourself
computer hobby kit -- they could have asked or allowed Fixstars for
more involvement or allowed them an expanded role. Had they chosen
that option then Fixstars would have been able to at least make an
effort and had Fixstars been successful of course then the PS3 Slim
would have kept the OtherOS option.  The PS3 Slim would also remain
proprietary technology,

It is Sony's right and perogative to do as they please.  I don't know
what happened of course.  Obviously Sony is not the first corporation
to make puzzling choices.  The phrase describing Sony's approach best
is -- penny-wise, pound-foolish.  They are not the first, nor the
last.  I am sad for those who relied on them though. Sony, let Kai and
the Fixstars team, find out from a media report released the same
week?  How is such treatment even described as polite or justified?

The rest of us who were considering the Cell as a possible workstation
for ourselves and families will have to look elsewhere.