[ydl-gen] gcc 4.4

Robert Spykerman robert.spykerman at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 10:35:20 JST 2009

On 12/4/09, Derick Centeno <dcenteno at ydl.net> wrote:

> Hi Robert!
>
> Welcome to the YDL community.

Ta very much.

> Before you invest your time in such an effort it may be to your advantage to
> review at least two discussion threads which took place on the YDL Board
> here:
>
> This discussion approaches the level of technical information and references
> you may need before you implement or begin your effort:
>
> http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5489
>
> The next discussion explores Sony's choice to cancel the OtherOS option in
> detail (with references):
>
> http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6652

Eh, did I miss something important in those links?

I was actually looking for some way to build a biarch gcc 4.4.2 ie
generate both 32 or 64 bit code. 32bit code for most userland apps and
64 bits of course to recompile the kernel and other muckings-around.

It must be possible as the YDL guys have it done with the gcc 4.1.2
supplied on YDL 6.2. Now I am guessing it is probably a bit more
difficult than just a normal gcc build but how it's done for a PPC I'm
not sure, as I am not sure:
1) if just the right flags need setting
2) or if it's more involved, and there's a certain sequence to build
it that the makefile just doesn't know.

So, while I am not sure exactly what you are directing me to or
alluding to with those links.

All I want to do is compile a bi-arch gcc...

If you are alluding to the futiliy of it, well, heck, it's only for
fun, it's not like I have to or anything. Just plain ol' fun.

> If you decide to move ahead with your plan, consider becoming a member of
> the YDL Board...

you mean yellowdog-board? yep, just visited it.

Waiting to see if anyone can help. Might look to see if I can ask in
something more gcc specific, like on usenet

... but seeing as YDL produced a distro with a bi-arch gcc to begin
with, I thought I would try here first.

> Sincerely, aguilarojo

Rob Spykerman