[ydl-gen] String instructions emulation on PPC970MP

Robert Spykerman robert.spykerman at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 05:05:09 JST 2009

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 12:08 AM, Patrice B <pbfwdlist at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  I'm using a Power Station as a build machine to generate code for
> amcc440 cpu using gcc 4.4 with option -mcpu=440fp. Since this release
> of gcc, I notice that code is generated with string instructions which
> are not supported by Power Station cpu, and then, it makes build
> failed if a newly built binary needs to be run for a next build step.
> Is there a way to emulate those instructions on a Power Station (which
> currently runs YDL 6.0)

Hmm... It looks like you're probably attempting to build a 440 gcc
native binary to run on your 970s. I think from what you're
describing, when it bootstraps it dies.

I think you may well have to unfortunately build a cross compiler. I
have not actually done this in reality but I believe there are a few
guides out there. I think it's a matter of building with the right
--target flag, but it's possibly more complicated.

Found this which looks promising (I've been thinking of shifting my
ps3 compilation to my x86 boxen - I'll tell you how that goes)

http://vmlinux.org/crash/mirror/www.objsw.com/CrossGCC/FAQ-4.html

Hope this helps pointing you in the right dir.

>  Best regards
>
>        Patrice
> HINT: to Google archives, try  '&lt;keywords> site:us.fixstars.com'

Robert Spykerman

--
chown -R us ./base