[ydl-gen] Slow ibook X11 (2D)

Atro Tossavainen atossava+ydl at cc.helsinki.fi
Mon Feb 2 06:15:51 MST 2009

Derick,

> It's funny that the Nextstation was built around the PPC, which Jobs -
> the same fellow who started Next walked away from when he came back to
> Apple.

Er, no!  The NeXTs were based on the 68k.  They predated PPC by several
years (the first NeXT machine was released in 1988, PowerPC started
shipping in 1990, and Apple released their first PowerPC based machines
in 1994).

NeXTstep, the OS, existed for x86, 68k, HP PA-RISC and SPARC.

NeXT and PowerPC never met if I understand correctly.

I admined a researcher's NeXTstation way back when, and this person was
making exactly the same points as Warren for not moving onto PCs for a
*very* long time.  I think he only gave up when the hardware did.  I also
upgraded the box from 16M to 32M (a no-brainer) and from a 400M original
HD to a multi-gigabyte one (which took considerably more effort) :-)

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,