[ydl-gen] Slow ibook X11 (2D)

Tom Gall tom_gall at vnet.ibm.com
Mon Feb 2 13:25:09 MST 2009

Greets

On Feb 2, 2009, at 12:10 PM, Warren Nagourney wrote:

> Thanks, Atro for the correction. Yes, the NeXtstations used 33 MHz and
> 25 MHz 68040 CPUs.  I think NeXT was pondering porting NeXTstep to the
> (then) new Motorola 88k RISC chip, but it was never ported to the PPC
> (until OSX, of course).

Actually NextSTEP was ported to the RS/6000 (Power2 IIRC) back in
around '91, '92.

This was in the days of NeXTSTEP 2. It never saw the light of day but
it was working.
During the NeXTWorld user auction in May of '93 I even bid on a set of
the manuals for
this version of NeXTSTEP. They went for like $800+.

Don't forget the original cubes which with 25Mhz 68030s. I have a
couple... alas the display
cable is missing otherwise I'd see if they might still power on.
Always loved their funky adb keyboards.

> The NeXT machines were marvelous but a bit overpriced, in my opinion.
> I managed to get a "slab" (NeXTstation, 33 Mhz '040) and a cube (25
> MHz '040) when I retired.  I always found it amazing that the OS was
> so responsive - with a megapixel (16 bit) color display, opaque window
> moves were smooth for small windows and not too bad for large windows
> (better than my 1.5 GHz G4 without acceleration!) This is with no
> video hardware! The OS ran fine with 40 megs of RAM and a 600 meg hard
> disk was considered very capacious..
>
> I actually prefer the look and feel of NeXTstep to OSX and even the
> Project Builder and Interface Builder development apps were, in my
> opinion, better than their current progeny (Xcode).  I coded my DAQ
> stuff in the assembly language of the DSP and it acquired data faster
> than the fancy National Instrument boards on current machines (and
> less buggy than NI stuff on the Mac).
>
> Those were the days...

:-)

<snip>