[ydl-gen] Looking for advice.

Warren Nagourney warren at phys.washington.edu
Sun Feb 15 19:43:22 MST 2009

I have installed both YDL 6.1 and Ubuntu 8.10 on an iBook G4 800.  The
YDL installation was completely straightforward with no problems at
all. The Ubuntu installer script has some bugs which are easily
rectified after a Google search, but Ubuntu has little commitment to
the PPC architecture (though it has a vast following which partially
compensates).

1. YDL has no installation problems that I know of.

2. Any desktop can be installed, just like any other linux
distribution.  You might need to tweak the YUM repositories to find
the relevant packages.

3. Again, YDL runs just about anything that all other linuxes run. An
annoying exception is Flash, which doesn't run on the ppc
architecture. There is a 3rd party replacement (whose performance  is,
in my opinion, unacceptable). There are lots of apps in every category
which run fine in YDL, though whether they are better or worse than
commercial apps in OS X is something you need to decide. I tend to
prefer the commercial apps, though a lot of effort has gone into
making Open Office a decent clone (I actually run none of the office
apps, commercial or not).

4. The installation documentation is excellent and should make it easy
to install on your iBook.

One caveat: The graphics in PPC linux (any distro) leaves a lot to be
desired.  The video processors are very badly supported in PPC linux -
the GPU companies provide no drivers for ppc and the 3rd party ones
(reverse engineered) range from very bad to barely acceptable. The
graphics in linux doesn't compare to that in OS X. This was what
eventually drove me to give up on linux - good video is very important
to me, but other people might not feel that way and might find linux
ppc graphics perfectly acceptable.

Hope this helps.

Warren Nagourney