[ydl-gen] Slow ibook X11 (2D)

Warren Nagourney warren at phys.washington.edu
Fri Jan 16 23:35:16 MST 2009

Thanks, Stephen, for the help.

Actually, I just gave up running linux on my iBook (I reformatted the
disk, deleting the linux partitions). I have spent quite a bit of
time with  three different linuxes: YDL 6.1, Yubuntu 8.10 and Yubuntu
7.10. Except for some easily solved problems, each one installed with
few problems. After installation, I found that the user experience
with the OS was far worse than with OS X and I repeatedly asked
myself  "why am I doing this?"

Everything worked at best barely acceptably and nothing was as
smooth, fast and clean as in OS X. I have a fair bit of experience
with Linux over the last 15 years (on various PPC macs, starting with
MkLinux on a Powermac 8100). Part of the problem is that OS X has
gotten to be very good lately and even the latest version (10.5)
seems to do a good job of supporting the PPC, unlike linux.  The ppc
GPU drivers are a hit and miss hack - a good job of reverse
engineering but not nearly as good as supported drivers. I found that
window moving on iBook linux was pretty smooth but scrolling was
glacial  -  reminds me of my old 68040 Mac.

There are a lot of things that ppc linux simply will not do. For
example, there is no Flash and the alternative (gnash) is awful in my
experience. I never succeeded in getting DVD disks to play on the
iBook - there is some codec that doesn't seem to have a ppc version.
The two main window managers are beyond ugly in my opinion and I
never took to Enlightenment. My favorite window manager is Window
Maker and it has trouble - for some strange reason, it defeats 2D
acceleration on theiBook (but not on my PS3). The list of annoyances
is endless and I am delighted to be back in OS X. I still have Linux
on my PS3 and with the 2D RSX hack, it is fairly pleasant to use.

Cheers,

Warren Nagourney