[ydl-gen] Slow ibook X11 (2D)

John Michael Zorko jmzorko at mac.com
Sat Jan 17 08:45:53 MST 2009

Warren,

I, too, really like OSX, and I view it as one of, if not _the_, finest
*nixes out there for a very wide range of tasks.  Apple has done a
really good job with it I think.  The OSX experience on Apple PPC
hardware is generally better than the Linux experience on the same
hardware (which is often _not_ the case with PC hardware -- the Linux
experience is often as good or better than the Windows experience).

That being said, there are still reasons why Linux on Apple PPC
hardware might still be preferable, depending on what you need to do:

1. if you're a C / C++ developer (pro or not), there are differences
-- kqueue is not epoll (not that one is necessarily better than the
other as they both solve the same sort of problems, but they are
different), for instance
2. if filesystem type is important, HFS+ is not ext3 (case
sensitivity, filename length, resource forks compared to xattrs, etc.)
3. if you need AIO on non-file FDs, Linux will let you do that while
OSX will not
4. the GNU toolchain is the same on PPC Linux as it is on x86 Linux,
while Apple's toolchain, while using gcc, is not the same as GNU's
toolchain i.e. Apple's linker is not GNU ld, Mach-O is not elf ...
again, not that one is better than the other, but they are different
5. probably the biggest reason -- Apple likely won't support OSX on
PPC for much longer, so hopefully YDL will ...

Regards,

John

Falling You - exploring the beauty of voice and sound
http://www.fallingyou.com