[ydl-gen] linux for old ppc iron

Clark Martin cmmac at sonic.net
Mon Jul 20 08:49:39 MDT 2009

R. Hirschfeld wrote:
> Does anybody on the list have any *current* experience running linux
> (YDL or otherwise) on older PowerPC hardware, and have any
> recommendations?  My 1998 Wallstreet PowerBook G3 is running YDL 3 (I
> believe YDL 4 didn't support it, so I didn't upgrade at the time), but
> it is getting rather long in the tooth.
>
> I need something with support for such archaisms as an Old World ROM,
> ADB, SCSI, and a PCMCIA FireWire card that is PCILynx rather than OHCI
> (even with YDL 3 I needed to reconfigure the kernel for that one!).
> Also it should be lean enough to run with only 192MB of RAM.
>
> (Actually, I could probably continue to get by with YDL 3 if there's a
> modern browser that will compile under it.  The old version of Mozilla
> that came with it is becoming unusable.)

I've but Debian 5, the current release, on a Wallstreet.  It runs okay
however I haven't really tried it out much.  My understanding is it will
support WiFi and I have gotten it working on an iBook.  The iBook has an
original Airport Card which is supposed to be the same as the
Lucent/Orinoco cards commonly used in a Wallstreet.  It has 320 Mb of
RAM in it so I can't say how it would do with 192.  But I would
recommend boosting it.  You can get a 256 Mb SODIMM for $28.

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA