[ydl-gen] linux for old ppc iron

R. Hirschfeld ray at unipay.nl
Thu Jul 23 11:18:02 MDT 2009

> Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 07:49:39 -0700
> From: Clark Martin <cmmac at sonic.net>
>
> I've but Debian 5, the current release, on a Wallstreet.  It runs okay
> however I haven't really tried it out much.  My understanding is it will
> support WiFi and I have gotten it working on an iBook.  The iBook has an
> original Airport Card which is supposed to be the same as the
> Lucent/Orinoco cards commonly used in a Wallstreet.  It has 320 Mb of
> RAM in it so I can't say how it would do with 192.  But I would
 > recommend boosting it.  You can get a 256 Mb SODIMM for $28.

Thanks for the tip.  Did you have to do anything special when
installing Debian 5 to get it to run on the Wallstreet or did it just
work?

WiFi (via a Lucent WaveLan Silver card) works on the Wallstreet under
YDL 3 so I suspect it would under Debian as well.

Cheers,
Ray

P.S. I see at http://penguinppc.org/about/distributions.php that
Debian, along with openSUSE and (Japanese) Vine Linux, is one of the
few distros that still support Old World Macs.