[ydl-gen] rpms

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Mon Jun 8 18:12:31 MDT 2009

Background of the problem:
Sometimes a package available within a YDL release is old in comparison
to what may be current.  For example to use the current release of GPG2
which allows for use of OpenPGP one of the libraries I need is
libgcrpyt-1.4.4 but I need to have the version installed by anaconda
removed.  It just so happens that removing it using yum affects over
300+ other installed packages, which means that I have to find a means
of having those same 300+ packages find and discover the new version of
libgcrypt!

I tried researching this problem in other Linux forums and references
and have learned much about spec files and so on.  What I haven't
found, even on IBM's website discussing rpm, is a logically procedural
based answer.

I'm hoping that my query can be addressed here.  Any takers?

An interesting definition of Open Source:

“Man should not consider his material possession his own, but as common
to all, so as to share them without hesitation when others are in need”
-- Thomas Aquinas 12th Century.