[ydl-gen] USB modem

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Fri Jun 5 12:30:02 MDT 2009

Hi Brend:

I searched Google using the phrase: Linux drivers for model K3565-Z
which was placed within the search field.  Out of the hits which were
listed there were two which I thought stood out.

*  a link to a company who holds proprietary code which unlocks
  information from the device so that Linux can then control the device.
  That link is here:
  http://www.dhakamobile.com/vygistoolbox/549-repair-security-data-for-huawei-and-unlock-zte-mf628-vodafone-k3565-z.html/

*  a link to a Fedora Linux Forum discussing this device which also
  provides some instruction regarding accessing it.  That link is here:
  http://www.betavine.net/bvportal/forums/index.html?threadId=ff8080812057dadb012096545e6477a8&postId=ff808081218c48e60121926366890dd5/

Just so we are clear on the point, although Linux commands function
within nearly all distributions similarly; it may be the case that
there are no programs or drivers for controlling that device within the
YDL environment as YDL is a PowerPC family /Cell system exclusively.
Many drivers run only on Intel systems.  It may not be impossible
for someone to have or allow you to download the driver source which in
turn would allow you to compile a driver for use within YDL, but you'll
have to make sure you are familiar with compiling source.

Alternatively there may be a different solution which you may have
overlooked, the PS3 is apparently capable of wireless communications
which means that you'd need only the wireless router provided by
your ISP.  The instructions for getting the PS3 up and running using
wireless communications is listed here:

http://us.fixstars.com/support/solutions/ydl_6.x/ps3-wifi-config.shtml/

On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 15:55:34 +0200
BKapp at turntown.co.za wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have a Vodafone USB modem, model K3565-Z. There are drivers for
> various operating Linux operating systems, but I do not see any for
> use with a PS3. Please assist as I would like to plug this modem into
> the PS3 to go onto the web.
>

> Regards
>
> Brend

An interesting definition of Open Source:

“Man should not consider his material possession his own, but as common
to all, so as to share them without hesitation when others are in need”
-- Thomas Aquinas 12th Century.