[ydl-gen] rpms

Atro Tossavainen atossava+ydl at cc.helsinki.fi
Wed Jun 10 12:38:23 MDT 2009

Derick,

> I suppose there's a way to extract or discover the spec file from a .gz
> or bz2 file prepared by a project. In this case, I downloaded the
> latest libgcrypt source from gnupg. So how would I use rpm to extract
> that info?

"man rpmbuild" is your friend :-)

   BUILD OPTIONS
       The general form of an rpm build command is

       rpmbuild -bSTAGE|-tSTAGE [      rpmbuild-options
        ] FILE ...

       The  argument  used  is  -b  if a spec file is being used to build the
       package and -t if rpmbuild should look  inside  of  a  (possibly  com-
       pressed)  tar file for the spec file to use.

so:	rpmbuild -tb something-1.2.3.tar.gz

might get you going in case the .tar.gz contains a spec file.

Sub-note, not related to building rpms:
Would all the people who think they can get removed from the list by
posting to the list itself rather than following removal instructions
please cease to exist?  The "remove me!" traffic is really quite annoying
and makes me want to do things a conscientious objector can't do, by
definition.

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,