[ydl-gen] Question on 15" Powerbook G4 1.67ghz (Powerbook 5,8)

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Tue Jun 23 21:16:41 MDT 2009

Hi Pat:

I run YDL 6.1 on exactly on the system you describe.  Within the
current version of YDL, you'll notice an application called Codec
Installer.  This application allows you to install both a free mp3 audio
decoders and other media support apps from Fluendo which one pays for.

Regarding listening to music within YDL, I've not had any problems.  I
want to point out that it is easy to overlook that within YDL there
exists a Gnome/GStreamer based volume control application, which acts
as a Master volume control.  When this app is open be sure that within
the Playback tab both Master and PCM sections are functioning.  You can
do this by left-clicking upon each speaker symbol to remove the red
marked x you may find there.  Remember also to raise the volume
channels to your preference.  Also under the Switches tab make sure
that the speakers are selected as your output.

Unfortunately although other apps affecting sound are available, none
of them have the overall effectiveness of this app I'm speaking of.  So
make sure that this particular app is set properly first.

All the best...

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 14:05:13 +0100
Pat Wall <pjwall at mac.com> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I am thinking of buying a Powerbook 5,8 G4 15" to run YDL on the
> move. This is the last PB G4 made with hi-res display and I note in
> the Supported Hardware section of Fixstars website that there is an
> audio issue reported by an end user:
> *
> *Apple PowerBook 15" 1.67GHz G4, 2005-06
>
>    1. /Notes:/ On the last shipping model of this product, an end user
>       has shared that audio fails under certain configurations of
> Totem; Ekiga does not function.
>
> I was wondering if anyone has one of these powerbooks and have they
> been able to get around the issue with audio or would is it best to
> look for the Powerbook 5,6 instead?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>

> Pat

==========================
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even
be touched.  They must be felt with the heart. -- Helen Keller

Believe nothing merely because you have been told it or because it is
traditional or because you yourself have imagined it. Do not believe
what your teacher tells you merely out of respect for the teacher. But
whatever after due examination and analysis you find to be conducive to
the good, the benefit, the welfare of all beings, that doctrine believe
and cling to and take it as your guide. -- The Buddha

Refránes/Popular sayings:
No hay mal que por bien no venga.
There is no evil out of which good cannot blossom.