[ydl-gen] switching to other themes crashes e17

Corey corey.abshire at gmail.com
Mon May 4 21:25:11 MDT 2009

Hi all.

I'm having an issue switching e17 themes in YDL 6.1 on an Apple Powerbook G4.

When I try to switch to any theme I've downloaded off of
http://exchange.enlightenment.org/ it crashes enlightenment and
restarts in the default theme, or simply reverts back to the default
theme. I have not been able to switch to any theme I've downloaded
from the site. I'm following what I believe is the correct process for
installing the theme:

1. Download the theme into ~/.e/e/themes/
2. Open up the themes configuration.
3. Click the Personal button.
4. Click the theme.
5. Click the OK button.

As soon as I click OK button e17 either crashes with the
"Enlightenment Error - This is very bad... (f1) Recover..." error
message, and lets me restart with the previous theme I used, or, it
does not give me an error message and simply reverts back to that
previous theme.

Here is a list of the names of some of the themes I've tried:

1. 230z_016_999_043_1.edj
2. A-illume-Blue.edj
3. detour-0.7.4_e17.edj
4. grunge.edj
5. pce17os_new_h.edj
6. simply-white-0.9.5.edj

I read through a variety of posts and the best I can come up with is
that e17 is very picky about versions and that perhaps the .edj files
that are provided on the exchange site are intended only for the very
latest version of e17. According to the About dialog, I'm running
0.16.999.040. It seems the latest snapshot on the enlightenment site
is 0.16.999.060.

I read through a few sets of instructions for how to compile e17 and
install from source but it seems rather laborious, and wondered if
there is some easier way some of you more experienced users might be
aware of that you could point me to.

As far as I can tell, all the updates from the default repositories
have been installed at this point. I'm not doing anything tricky I can
think of. Its a relatively new installation, + Apple wireless working.

Anyone else have similar issues switching themes on the version of e17
that comes with YDL6.1?

If so, have you figured out a way around it or have some advice on how
to get it working.

Is there an easy way to stay on the most recent version of e17 under YDL6.1?

Thanks,
Corey