[ydl-gen] switching to other themes crashes e17

Hal Martin hal.martin at gmail.com
Tue May 5 04:47:51 MDT 2009

Corey wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I'm having an issue switching e17 themes in YDL 6.1 on an Apple Powerbook G4.
>
> When I try to switch to any theme I've downloaded off of
> http://exchange.enlightenment.org/ it crashes enlightenment and
> restarts in the default theme, or simply reverts back to the default
> theme. I have not been able to switch to any theme I've downloaded
> from the site. I'm following what I believe is the correct process for
> installing the theme:
>
> 1. Download the theme into ~/.e/e/themes/
> 2. Open up the themes configuration.
> 3. Click the Personal button.
> 4. Click the theme.
> 5. Click the OK button.

Yup, that's the way to add themes in DR17.
> As soon as I click OK button e17 either crashes with the
> "Enlightenment Error - This is very bad... (f1) Recover..." error
> message, and lets me restart with the previous theme I used, or, it
> does not give me an error message and simply reverts back to that
> previous theme.

Yes, if I recall my beta testing of YDL 6.1 correctly, downloaded themes
do not work on the YDL builds of Enlightenment.
> Here is a list of the names of some of the themes I've tried:
>
> 1. 230z_016_999_043_1.edj
> 2. A-illume-Blue.edj
> 3. detour-0.7.4_e17.edj
> 4. grunge.edj
> 5. pce17os_new_h.edj
> 6. simply-white-0.9.5.edj
>
> I read through a variety of posts and the best I can come up with is
> that e17 is very picky about versions and that perhaps the .edj files
> that are provided on the exchange site are intended only for the very
> latest version of e17. According to the About dialog, I'm running
> 0.16.999.040. It seems the latest snapshot on the enlightenment site
> is 0.16.999.060.

Even the snapshots on their website are, at times, out of date. If
you're looking for the newest, shiniest, version of DR17 (beware of
bugs!) I would suggest using their SVN repository.
> I read through a few sets of instructions for how to compile e17 and
> install from source but it seems rather laborious, and wondered if
> there is some easier way some of you more experienced users might be
> aware of that you could point me to.

On Gentoo, which I'm running on my desktop (although granted my desktop
is an x86_64 machine) there is a script called 'e17update' that
basically handles all the svn checkouts and building of the libraries
for DR17. It is, however, rather tied to emerge and layman, so it may
not be of much use to you.
> As far as I can tell, all the updates from the default repositories
> have been installed at this point. I'm not doing anything tricky I can
> think of. Its a relatively new installation, + Apple wireless working.
>
> Anyone else have similar issues switching themes on the version of e17
> that comes with YDL6.1?

Yes, I encountered this problem during my beta testing of YDL 6.1. If I
recall correctly, it's a known issue that I'm not sure was ever
pinpointed or resolved.
> If so, have you figured out a way around it or have some advice on how
> to get it working.
>
> Is there an easy way to stay on the most recent version of e17 under YDL6.1?

The easiest way is to use their svn repository and build by hand. As
tedious as that sounds, in my opinion it's not that much work. I'm sure
someone who is more adept at bash scripting then myself could, or has,
written a script to automatically build enlightenment, similar to e17update.

-Hal