[ydl-gen] Radeon X850 support?

Hal Martin hal.martin at gmail.com
Wed May 6 18:30:38 MDT 2009

Mike Erwin wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm in the middle of hot-rodding a Quicksilver G4, and one of its
> components is a Radeon X850. It's hard to miss the warning about YDL's
> lack of support for X800 on the G5s, and I must assume this extends to
> the rare X850.
>
> YDL runs great on the system so far, but only with the stock GeForce2 installed.
>
> Is the problem on the firmware side or the Linux driver side? In
> either case I'm willing to work on it, as there's some firmware work
> still needed for Mac OS (the card was PC retail). I'm going to
> ridiculous lengths to get this beast walking, and would appreciate any
> hints, encouragement, technical details, or anything from my fellow
> yellow dogs.

I'm assuming (and this is an assumption) that you checked themacelite
wiki before you purchased/acquired the card to verify that there is in
fact a working PPC ROM for that model?

http://themacelite.wikidot.com/wikidownloads2

If the ROM for the X850XT from themacelite doesn't work, unless you've
got another one hidden somewhere that you know works, YDL
compatibilities will be far from the forefront in terms of hurdles to
overcome in getting that card working with the PowerMac and YDL.

As for specific YDL issues with the X800 series, I defer to the Kai and
Owen and any other list members that have experience with those cards
for advice.

-Hal