[ydl-gen] does yellow dog linux has the packages I need?

Rob Sanders rarob at travelinglightfarm.net
Wed May 13 04:25:28 MDT 2009

On May 12, 2009, at 10:22 PM, Zhang Weiwu wrote:

> Kai Staats wrote:
>> Here is a list of the default, installed apps:
>> http://us.fixstars.com/products/ydl/installed.shtml
>>
>> Here is a search tool for all apps available with the distribution:
>> http://us.fixstars.com/products/ydl/included/
>>
> It says "All Applications Included on the DVD". Is that equal to "all
> apps available with the distribution"? I mean, even including the
> packages available on official package repository on the Inernet?
>
> I have to ask this becaues "All Applications Included on the DVD"
> has a
> lot of packages missing that I use daily. e.g. most software I keep
> using for managing my web design projects are missing: freemind
> (manage
> projects), jedit (for HTML/CSS), f-spot (for manage stoke photos),
> unison (for sync websites), tomboy (for taking notes in case of
> customer
> telephone call). That could be a barrier to use YDL if I had to
> compile
> these myself or deal with RPM offered by other site and fight
> dependency.
> HINT: to Google archives, try  '<keywords> site:us.fixstars.com'

I think you might find similar package lists for most of the linux
distributions.  For example, the project I work on for my current job
uses TurboGears as the web framework.  We support RHEL (and
variants).  The official RHEL install DVD's don't carry the
TurboGears packages.  The EPEL repositories do, but this would still
count as 'installing from another site'.  I just took a look at a
CenOS 5.2 install DVD I had lying around and none of the packages you
listed are part of the install DVD.  While there is a greater chance
of finding binary RPM's for a x86 distro of the packages you like,
you should still be able to get the source RPM's to build and
install, it will just take a little more time.

Rob