[ydl-gen] Response of Fixstars to end of ps3 otheros

Sam Lummis sam.lummis at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 00:54:42 MDT 2009

A lot of people in the Linux community believe the Console will be hacked
now that Sony have discontinued Linux support. This would be great as
obviously a PS3 where you have access to the complete array of hardware
would make a great inexspensive machine for programming with a Cell
architecture. However it would be rather bad for Sony as commercial hackers
would take advantage of the hack (supposedly) opening up the possibility for
pirated games.

I was wondering if the Hypervisor is ever illegitimately hacked will the
friendly YDL developers optimise YDL to work with the Cell, RSX and the 8
SPE's? I would hope if someone in the Linux community ever does hack the PS3
they do it in a way which doesn't give pirates easy access to modify the
gameOS to allow pirated games. It would be sad to see Sony get ripped off,
but maybe they have created the unhackable Hypervisor they believe they
have, however the Xbox 360's hypervisor took a year to hack for linux so I'd
give the linux enthusiasts a while to figure it out. I personally don't
understand the methods of hacking, and hypervisor/silicone security but it
seems very low-level bitwise inspection is necessary to find points of entry
through established processor routines finding instances where the
encryption wanes or gives instances where it is possible to extract the
encryption key.

Oh the possibilities, the price of these new Slim PS3's is rather amazing as
well there are stores in New Zealand selling them at $520, any reasonable
computer built by myself would cost around $800 NZ here and the PS3 offers
the Cell functionality. With the price only going to drop from here, a
future where I can purchase a PS3 and utilise it's hardware fully is a
beautiful possibility. I only hope by that point Sony aren't making a loss
on their hardware and can make a reasonable shilling off the scientific
organisations/researchers, businesses and enthusiasts purchasing their
hardware not to play games but to play with the cell (And have a sexy little
desktop on top).