[ydl-gen] (no subject)

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Mon Sep 7 13:34:22 MDT 2009

Dear Terrance:

I can explain some features or aspects of YDL itself as I've
used it for many years. I cannot address however PS3 or other machine
specific questions unless the question directly involves the computer
I run YDL on which happens to be a 1.67 MHz Powerbook G4.

Now as regards checking what already installed the best tool to use
is called yum which is best invoked either as su (superuser) or root.
Here is what happens when I ask yum to determine what is installed
and what is available.  Here is the run:

[root at arakus aguila]# yum info "blue*"
base             100% |=========================| 1.1 kB 00:00
updates          100% |=========================|  951 B 00:00
extras           100% |=========================|  951 B 00:00
Installed Packages Name   : bluez-gnome Arch   : ppc Version: 0.5
Release: 5
Size   : 51 k
Repo   : installed

The bluez-gnome package contains Bluetooth helper applets and tools
for the GNOME desktop environment.

Name   : bluez-libs
Arch   : ppc
Version: 3.7
Release: 1.1
Size   : 136 k
Repo   : installed

Libraries for use in Bluetooth applications.

The BLUETOOTH trademarks are owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc., U.S.A.

Name   : bluez-utils
Arch   : ppc
Version: 3.7
Release: 2.2.ydl6.2
Size   : 969 k
Repo   : installed

Bluetooth utilities (bluez-utils):
        - hcitool
        - hciattach
        - hciconfig
        - hcid
        - l2ping
        - start scripts (Yellow Dog Linux)
        - pcmcia configuration files

The BLUETOOTH trademarks are owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc., U.S.A.

Available Packages
Name   : bluefish
Arch   : ppc
Version: 1.0.7
Release: 4.el5
Size   : 1.6 M
Repo   : extras
Bluefish is a powerful editor for experienced web designers and
programmers. Bluefish supports many programming and markup languages,
but it focuses on editing dynamic and interactive websites.

Name   : bluez-hcidump
Arch   : ppc
Version: 1.32
Release: 1
Size   : 105 k
Repo   : base
Protocol analyser for Bluetooth traffic.

The BLUETOOTH trademarks are owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc., U.S.A.

Name   : bluez-libs-devel
Arch   : ppc
Version: 3.7
Release: 1.1
Size   : 71 k
Repo   : base
bluez-libs-devel contains development libraries and headers for
use in Bluetooth applications.

Name   : bluez-utils-cups
Arch   : ppc
Version: 3.7
Release: 2.2.ydl6.2
Size   : 17 k
Repo   : base
This package contains the CUPS backend

[root at arakus aguila]#

Explanation: If you look in what yum's output and look for Repo
you'll notice which applications are installed.  Also notice that in
reporting other packages yum merely reports their location, like
"extras".  This doesn't mean that it is on your system but rather the
package is available on a remote (external to you) server which yum
is looking at.

Explanation:  The *, is a wildcard character which tells yum to find
and discover any combination of characters, numbers or symbol
following the term blue.  You can do this with anything you are
looking for.

Yum advantage: If you decide something in the list which yum provides
needs to be installed, just do:

#yum install "blue*util*"

or whatever interests you.  Yum will install it and whatever
dependent programs which support that package's operation.

As far as learning what hidd does do:

[aguila at arakus ~]$ man hidd

The man command within your user account takes you to your embedded
manual explaining every command within YDL.  You can also do:

$info hidd

for an extended explanation. Should you go on the net you will see
many sites merely repeat what the manual already has told you.  To
invoke nearly any command within YDL or any other Linux use ./command
name.  There are some exceptions, but not many.

Good Luck...