[ydl-gen] Powerbook G4 '12, 1.33 GHz runs hot and shuts down

Stephen Harker sjh at adfa.edu.au
Tue Apr 20 06:54:11 JST 2010

Hi Julian,

> I left my mac on after using it for over an hour or so.  I like to leave my
> computer on because I know how turning it on and off is hard on a computer.
>  Anyways, when I wasn't using it, the fan seemed go full blast.  I glanced
> at the system monitor and the cpu seem to go to 100% without me doing
> anything on the computer (besides running system monitor of course.)  It
> then shutdown a few seconds after that.

This sounds like a scheduled task running.  I am not sure what the
system monitor reports (have not used it).  Does it report a task
running?  One way to check is, from a shell window, type 'top'.  This
command shows a list of active tasks and what percentage of cpu and
memory they consume (this is a standard unix command, also available
in OS/X).  Some system housekeeping tasks do use a fair amount of cpu
for a short while.

Once we know which task is running and using the cpu heavily we can
say more about it.  One old but useful description of unix scheduled
tasks is:
<http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/ch-autotasks.html>

I hope this is more helpful.

Stephen Harker                           s.harker at adfa.edu.au