[ydl-gen] Linux yellow dog manual for dummies

rhubbell Rhubbell at iHubbell.com
Fri Jan 15 04:42:35 JST 2010

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 15:27:42 -0500
Derick Centeno wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 10:09:48 +1100
> Robert Spykerman <robert.spykerman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 2:23 AM, Derick Centeno <dcenteno at ydl.net>
> > wrote: ...snip...
> > > Be sure to use the YDL Board as a resource so that you "meet" other
> > > PS3 users like yourself, as well as others who program using YDL on
> > > various hardware systems.  There's a lot a good people there who
> > > can help you move forward a lot faster than you going it solo.
> >
> > I completely agree. There are not many online forums for YDL - I
> > believe this mailing list and the YDL board
> > http://www.yellowdog-board.com/ are the only two specific ones.
> >
> > I am new to YDL too myself. I suspect not many people use it very much
> > these days if traffic in these lists or the YDL board is anything to
> > go by, at least relative to the traffic you can see on the ubuntu
> > boards.
> >

> You are quite right Robert, the traffic regarding PowerPC programming
> has changed quite a bit over the years.  There had been a great deal of
> traffic here when Apple incorporated the PowerPC in it's computer
> hardware.  When Apple switched to Intel there were many changes in
> the traffic here and then Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony developed game
> systems which incorporated not only the most advanced PowerPC system
> available to date (the Cell) but the most intensively powerful CPU
> available to consumers.  Out of all these companies however only Sony
> allowed an option which allowed users to use and run YDL on their PS3s
> thereby turning what had been merely a game computer into the
> equivalent of a supercomputer available to forward looking consumers.
>
> Of course, not everyone who purchased the PS3 would be interested in
> hi-tech programming on the Cell but that potential was available as
> long as Sony allowed the OtherOS option to exist.  With the OtherOS
> option all members of the family could not only play games but explore
> advanced technical areas ranging from introductory to advanced
> programming concepts of nearly every level of endeavor.  The only
> comparison I can think of is imagining families with the PS3 being
> awarded a free perpetual opportunity to attend the most advanced
> computer labs at MIT or Stanford or Yale for their own personal
> exploration and use. The Cell is that flexible.

I hadn't heard that the CELL was end-of-lifed. I guess it's true.
But any idea why?  Who killed the Cell/BE?

Toshiba owns the chip fab? Have they announced anything?
I see the Zego vanished. What about the blades based on Cell/BE?

Collectivism at work? Too much compute power for the citizen?