[ydl-gen] Java on PS3

Pat Wall pjwall at mac.com
Fri Jan 15 22:53:35 JST 2010

Hi Robert

> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 13:18:13 -0500
> Robert Black <Robert.A.Black at noaa.gov> wrote:
> I too have so far failed to get a working Java on the PS3.

I have Java working with Firefox 3.0.12 supplied with YDL 6.2 and with a
rebuilt 3.5.7. I cannot get it to work successfully with Firefox 3.6rc1
- the java plugin registers in about:plugins but Firefox 3.6rc1 crashes
  when loading an applet. The main thing is that the plugin *does* work
  successfully with Firefox <= 3.5 :-)

> I downloaded the all files with the latest release from the IBM web
> site, Tried to install them, & got a message that the JRE and SDK
> needed another .so file. I found & downloaded that, re-installed the
> SDK, & that worked. Tried to re-install the JRE, and it now claims
> to be incompatible with the latest SDK from IBM. A complete
> runaround. Result: No java capability w/Firefox on the PS-3.

To get your PS3 install up and running you should only need the file
ibm-java-ppc-jre-6.0-7.0.ppc.rpm from the IBM website or, as Derick
pointed out, from PS3 Bodega if you set up that repo.

On a fresh ydl 6.2 install the only dependency that should be required
is compat-libstdc++-33. I forgot that the instructions on the Fixstars
website mention Firefox 1.5 and are therefore out of date. The
Firefox plugin directory should be /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins -
again, Again thanks to Derick :-)

Alternatively you can also put the plugin into your home directory
~/.mozilla/plugins.

Best regards

Pat