[ydl-gen] Linux yellow dog manual for dummies

rhubbell Rhubbell at iHubbell.com
Fri Jan 15 10:18:07 JST 2010

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 18:59:18 -0500
Derick Centeno wrote:

> From: rhubbell <Rhubbell at iHubbell.com>
> To: yellowdog-general at lists.fixstars.com
> Subject: Re: [ydl-gen] Linux yellow dog manual for dummies
> Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 11:42:35 -0800 (14:42 EST)
> Mailer: Mail-2.1
>

> In order to help you get a handle on the whole topic I went back to
> recover a prior submission I made to this list addressing the
> end-of-life for the Cell.  In fairness, Warren Nagourney, another
> contributor to this list, mentioned it first.  However, he did not
> provide a specific link or reference.  As I don't sit well with mere
> unverified references I researched the subject matter in Ars Technica
> and discovered an interview with an IBM rep. which discussed the whole
> issue in detail.
>
> The gist of the article clearly states that although the Cell has been
> mothballed work is proceeding with a novel approach which integrates
> what has been learned through working with it.  IBM is moving forward
> with has been described technically as Heterogeneous Multicore systems
> -- a basic overview of Multicore systems is found surprisingly here:
> http://www.fixstars.com/en/multicore/processors.html.  The good news
> then is that development from IBM will proceed along the lines of
> something which acts or looks like the Toshiba SpursEngine or other
> Heterogeneous design. When development proceeds as it surely will, then
> will be the time to discover which version of Linux will run on it.
>
> There's a lot to be positive and excited about for persons interested
> in programming advanced architectures.  The developments are more
> interesting as elements of previously diverse and competing
> architectures have become morphed into one which makes programming
> these new heterogeneous systems easier, not harder.  Determining
> whether we will see something progressing along the lines of the
> Toshiba SpursEngine or Nvidia's Tesla design is hard to determine.
> IBM's vision means more powerful and capable systems way beyond those
> which exist currently and in the near future.
>
> A good head's up for Apple users is that Apple is much more likely to
> accept IBM's new direction in the effort to maintain Apple's edge as
> creative hardware and operating system par excellence.  Although many
> here will wait and see what comes, a few will study what IBM does and
> act accordingly.  I can guarantee, as a former Apple developer, that
> Apple pros are studying IBM's efforts and progress as well.

I can't keep up with the changes, thanks for distilling it down here.

I know that IBM has the multi-core advantage and they aren't going to be
losing that it seems. The tools for development hopefully will get enough
attention to make it so that they are picked up and used.  I know PS3 game
developers are still getting up to speed but making strides as the tools
mature.

How many cores did they get to with Cell/BE? It's not as if it's dead
tomorrow.  Sony's still selling PS3s and are planning to continue.
(heck they are stilling selling PS2s)

I bet they run the simulators of the new design on Cell/BE. (^: