[ydl-gen] Boot error

Derick Centeno dcenteno at ydl.net
Sun Jan 17 06:22:04 JST 2010

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 06:16:28 +0100
angelo <angelo_da_re at alice.it> wrote:

> Hello everyone ! Some time ago, I had a blackout while YDL 6.2 was
> running. Since then, I get this message after starting udev: error at
> "! /etc/X11/Xmodmap". I'm running YDL on a PS3 40 GB, which I
> expanded to 250 GB, European version, with GameOS 3.10.  After
> giving this error, everything works fine.  Can anyone tell me what
> this message means and how to fix it ?
> Keep in mind that I'm a newcomer to Linux, so please explain
> straightforward.
> Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Angelo.

Buon Jorno, Angelo!!

One very simple approach which could correct the complaint you are
getting from udev, is to check if you are using a standard USB keyboard
or mouse which YDL recognizes and/or is designed to work with.  Let this
be your first step.

Read about this here:
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/hardware/sony.shtml

Please note that within the PS3 section under 2, you will see:

"The Bluetooth keyboard and mouse may work under Linux, but will require
additional configuration. We recommend a USB keyboard and mouse or USB
to Bluetooth adapter (dongle)."

The reason the above is important is that the udev application was built
into the Linux kernel (all versions from kernel 2.6 forward) to replace
something called devfs, another kernel tool.  The purpose of udev is
to control peripheral devices - mostly keyboards and mice.

Every Linux distribution -- Debian, Fedora, YDL and other distributions
determine for themselves when they build their own standard kernel which
applications such as udev, will be automatically used (turned on or
off) by that distribution when they compile their kernel.

You, as an individual, can download and build (compile) -- solid
programming skills required -- your own kernel to use and decide for
yourself whether udev is on or off according to your own needs.  The
entire process is not simple, unfortunately.

In case the simple act of replacing your keyboard with a USB keyboard
and USB based mouse is not possible what follows are links to
instructions and references for you to use to correct the code or
instructions udev utilizes and refers to.  This is not simple but it is
what is available that I could gather to address this particular
problem.  Here goes:

http://webpages.charter.net/decibelshelp/LinuxHelp_UDEVPrimer.html#UDEV

http://blog.interlinked.org/tutorials/linux.html

When you are ready to create your own rules for udev to follow refer to
this link (Note: Look for UDEV in the middle of the webpage):

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Acer_Travelmate_803LCi

All the best...

=========
Refranes/Popular sayings:
The Taino say:No hay mal que por bien no venga.
There is no evil out of which good cannot blossom.